You’ve heard the legend, now take the Journey!
The ultimate irony, that while mainstream in the 60s/70s ridiculed the hippies and their social revolution, that same disparaging culture of yesteryear have now adopted/absorbed much of the social philosophy and new thinking that was promoted by early hippie culture.
The Nambassa festivals, the largest events of its kind in the world, were organized on a voluntary basis by a collective of creative young hippies from New Zealand and across the world. The New Zealand hippie movement was part of an international phenomena in the 1960s and 1970s heralding a new artistic culture of music, freedom and social revolution where millions of young people across the globe were reacting against conservative old world antecedents and embracing a new free hippie ethos, while promoting their alternative lifestyle as a natural part of ordinary life. The Nambassa festivals were vegetarian and alcohol free.
New Zealand’s subculture had its foundations in the 1960s-70s social reformation that was sweeping the world. Specifically, young people rebelling against mainstream, the new music revolution, peace & anti-nuclear activism and the back to the land movement. In Aotearoa the counterculture was actively trying to stop New Zealand’s involvement in Americas ill-fated Vietnam War and to prevent the French from testing nuclear weapons at Mururoa atoll in French Polynesia in the Pacific Islands.
The 1960s heralded a period of significant world change in culture, values & beliefs, where advancements in civil & human rights, personal spiritual development, women’s equality, healthy sustainable living, had helped to foster an unlocking of world consciousness opening a new window to unprecedented development & growth in world science and technology, human and civil rights standards, free speech and press, environmentalism and healthy & sustainable lifestyle. Culturally & technologically we have learnt more over the past 50 years than we have since life began to evolve on the planet.
Nambassa Online intends to share this new era through the Nambassa understanding and to further develop free thinking away from decaying traditional perception of life to a more rewarding & sustainable lifestyle & value system. PT
*150 Photo gallery
*History of the Hippies & beginnings of the new Consciousness
*Festival Articles, Photos, Video, Music, Arts, Culture, Theater & Links
*Interesting banners challenging traditional religious & cultural thinking
* Spiritual resistance, Counterculture & Self-Sufficiency
*Human Rights & Social Justice *The Nambassa Resistance
The trials and tribulations of running counterculture festivals in ultra conservative 70's New Zealand. You've heard the legend, so now take the journey and visit the internationally acclaimed Nambassa festivals through a plethora of film, sound & photo grabs.
In 1979 the 50 min Nambassa film cut went to the Cannes Film Festival in France as part of New Zealand's official entry hosted by the New Zealand Film Commission.
(1) (NEW) Nambassa '79 3 day festival Video & interview with Peter Terry 4:08
(2) (NEW) Nambassa 5 day celebration 1981 8mm film & photo grabs 12:17
(3) (NEW) Nambassa '79 Controversy rages A must see interview with 25 y/o Peter Terry defending the Nambassa Trust & Community 14:50
(4) (NEW) Nambassa 3 days 1978 Film & Photo grabs 5:30
(5) (NEW) Nambassa 79 Interviews with the public. Police protest & Split Enz 15:57
(6) (NEW) Nambassa 3 day festival 79 interview with Peter Terry on Religions & Spirituality 15:57
(7) (NEW) Nambassa 79, Saturday, the morning after 6:09
(8) (NEW) According to comedian Nevil Purvis, the Bible says you can O/D on grass 3:41
(9) (NEW) Nambassa 79 "Roadshow Fayre" Housetruck Circle 8:04
(10) (NEW) Trev's hippie Housetrucker's Ball Aotearoa 2003 18:13
(11) Nambassa Hippie Festivals downunder 1979 (1) 7:50
(12) Nambassa Hippie Festival downunder 1978- 1979 (2) 7:54
(13) Nambassa Hippie Festivals downunder 1981 (3) 9:42
(14) Asia DownUnder "The Wong Way To Marry" 2010 6:11
(15) "Dirty Bloody Hippies" 2011 (Part 1 of 3) 13:23
If you have 'home movies' or '8mm film' of Nambassa that you wish to share please contact us through the email form below
TO EMAIL NAMBASSA OR PETER TERRY, OR DONATE TO HELP COMPLETE THE OFFICIAL NAMBASSA WEBSITE, PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM (WE WILL FORWARD YOU PAYPAL OR DIRECT TRANSFER DETAILS.)
CHECK BACK SOON, THESE SITES ARE REGULARLY UPDATED
Nambassa Trustees: Lorraine Ward & Peter Terry